Thursday 4 September 2008

British Hospitality at its Best

Last week I went to Hungerford, in southern England, to collect water samples for my research. While there I stayed at two Bed and Breakfasts, as they were SO much cheaper than the local hotels (£35/night at a B&B vs. MINIMUM £95/night at a local hotel), and I like Bed and Breakfasts better anyway.

I had to stay in two different Bed and Breakfasts because I made my reservations at the last minute, and this being a popular tourist destination for cyclers on the Kennet and Avon Canal, and it being the end of summer, most locations were all booked up. So I stayed at one B&B the first night and another the next two nights.

The second Bed and Breakfast I stayed at was truly remarkable. It was Berries B&B, where the hosts are Mick and Lynda Berry. As I mentioned, I had to stay at a different B&B the first night, but couldn't check in until 5 even though I arrived in Hungerford at 2 (this was outside my control). I stopped by Berries B&B when I first came into town as they had agreed to lend me their bike to cycle up and down the canal (where I was taking water samples). Here the remarkable nature of the Berrys started to become evident. That they allowed me to use their bike was remarkable in and of itself - bikes aren't all that cheap, after all, if I happened to take an unintentional dive into the canal. But then they offered to let me store my luggage at their B&B while I went back out for the afternoon to start my sample collection. They were tremendously friendly, and I talked to them about an hour before heading out. That evening, once I was checked into the other B&B, Mick DROVE MY LUGGAGE over to the B&B so I wouldn't have to carry it myself. Amazing! The next day, the Berrys invited me to have lunch with an angling friend of Mick's who was coming into town to fish for the day. It just so happened this gentleman knew a bit about the canal and the river that I was studying. It was so kind of them to allow me to intrude upon their lunch for the benefit of my research! Later that evening, when I checked into Berries B&B, Mick drove me over to the old B&B to retrieve my luggage, and then drove me to a takeout restaurant to pick up some dinner. Unlike many bed and breakfasts, where they seem to shoo you off to your room and don't want to see any more of you until breakfast the next morning, Mick invited me to eat in the kitchen and we chatted a bit while I ate. The next day, Mick drove over to the train station to pick up Aaron, who came in for a day to help me. That evening, he drove us out to a local pill box - the canal was considered a possible point of defense in WWII and was lined with them. I had told him Aaron was interested in WWII history, and so Mick drove us out to see one just outside town. Then he dropped us off at a local restaurant, and we called him once we were done and he came into down to drive us back to the B&B. The next day he drove us to the train station at the appropriate time, and waited to make sure we set off ok. We exchanged hugs all around when we left!

It turns out that Mick and Lynda spent a year in a motor home in the US, and have so many stories to share. They run a bed and breakfast because they want to meet people and hear new stories. Lynda is a great cook, and served some of the best scrambled eggs I've ever had. They have three wonderful dogs - which are kept outside the main living areas, but are close by if you want to seek them out. The bedrooms are beautifully decorated.




These pictures were taken the morning we left - the rooms look much more stylish when you arrive. It was just absolutely wonderful, Aaron and I both agree this is the best Bed and Breakfast we've ever stayed at. We really felt like guests of our hosts, not like customers. If you ever have a need to be in this part of England (and they are centrally located for things like Stonehenge, the Avebury Standing Stones, Windsor Castle, Stratford-on-Avon, etc if you have a car), you should definitely check them out!!



No comments: