Wednesday 16 December 2009

And more British slang!

Okay, this one just really threw me for a while: Crimbo.

Guesses, anyone?

I had seen it here and there and hadn't thought about it, but just now received an email from my MCR co-president talking about the 'crimbo' formal.

Being fairly certain I had had a large part in planning all the MCR formals this term, I was very confused as to when and where we held this 'crimbo' formal. So I looked it up and wiktionary has this rather un-enlightening description. Turns out it's British slang for Christmas, though I have yet to see anything online (okay, I only looked at the first 5 Google results) that gives me a good description of HOW one gets 'Crimbo' out of 'Christmas.' The whole Gordon Bennett thing I could at least somewhat understand...but this?? Craziness. Again we're divided by a common language! Thank goodness for slang dictionaries on the internet!

No comments: